The Boyfriend asked me for a sweater.

I’ve tried it before. I’m not a crazy person, but for a very long time, I believed in that dumb sweater curse.

Mostly because it happened to me. I started knitting my ex-boyfriend a sweater, and we broke up.

Yes, we had broken up twice before that. And yes, there were a lot of other problems. But still. SWEATER! And BREAK UP!

But Dan asked me to knit him a sweater. A cardigan, with cables on the sleeves and near the button bands. And, uhm, well, I won’t get into the major issues of my last relationship, but I’ll just say that my relationship with Dan is much, much healthier and happier. Much. A lot.

Anyway. Sweater.

Here’s my sketch. You can see the notes on it, too. I wanted to knit it seamless in the round, but I don’t think the yarn I plan on using or my skills are up for steeking (I was planning on using a heavy worsted weight to light bulky). I’m going to use ribs to shape the sides a little bit, and have a more complicated cable (he loved the Durrow cable from Magknits) on the arms. I don’t know if I’m going to do raglan shaping, or set in sleeves yet. And I don’t quite know how to shape the neck.

But I like it. I need to make some measurements now.

Advertisements

Day 2 & 3

Day 002.

Doesn’t look much different. I’m done with the sleeve increases, and I switched over to some circular needles, which enables the endless stockinette to be a little easier. Also, I can pick it up and put it down a lot more easily (I have a thing about finishing one needle when I’m working with DPNs before I put it down. Actually, I have a thing about finishing a row any time I’m working on knitting something before putting it down).


Day 003.

Still working on the circs. I probably would have been done, but I decided to put a new cuff on. Why? I just don’t know. I used DPNs to carefully pick up the loops just above the old cuff, and then chopped it off. I knit down in the PCM for about twelve rows, knit a turning row, and switched to my US5 DPNs and some beautifully soft Malabrigo in ‘Emerald Blue.’ I knit for about twelve rows, then carefully tacked the live stitches down inside (This picture from Grumperina’s website helped me learn how to sew down the live stitches). Voila. A much more even, much softer hem facing.

FO: Fake-Isle Hat & A Day in the Life of a Sweater Project

FO: Fake-Isle Hat

Here it is! The long-awaited Fake-Isle Hat.  I love it.  It’s warm and I wear it all the time.
Non-guts and guts.

I subed that two-color pattern that is from Anticraft.com and I used on my ‘Verterosa” hat.  I stuck in some corrugated ribbing and didn’t rip it out or kill myself.  It’s warm and I wear it all the time.  It uses Paton’s SWS in ‘Natural Earth’ as the MC and some light blue Wool-Ease as the CC.  Of course, didn’t use the full ball of either yarns.

 A Day in the Life of a Sweater Project

I started this sweater yesterday.  My challenge?  To take a picture of it every morning and chronicle the progress.  Let’s see how long I last.

I’m using EZ’s basic seamless percentage system with some info from “The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns.”

I’m using Paton’s Classic Merino in ‘Leaf Green’ on 7s. As suggested in “The Knitter’s Handy Book of Patterns,” I attempted a hemmed edge for the sleeve. I thought my US5s DPNs were 6s, though, and the contrasting hem (knit in PCM ‘Good Earth’) is a little tight, which leads to strong line between the edging and the actual sleeve. I like it for the sleeves, but I’ll attempt something a bit more subtle for the body.

I didn’t measure gauge before hand, and went by the suggested gauge on the ballband of the yarn – that’s why I knit a sleeve first (because if the sleeve was a little too big or a little too small, I’d be OK). Luckily, by some crazy dumb luck, I got the exact same gauge as suggested – 5 stitches = 1 inch. So I’m chugging along quite well.

I also have the other sleeve facing already done – I didn’t have the PCM in the MC until I got to work yesterday, and I found I could knit two hem facings in one commute. So that’s set aside for sleeve #2.

Special blog bonus: picture of the sleeve in progress at work yesterday.  You can see the contrasting hem really well.